[olug] Changing eth0 & eth1 around (in linux, of course!)

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Sat Oct 5 04:18:44 UTC 2002

If I read your email correctly, the chip on your built in ethernet is
toast and you want to use the pci card you have in your machine for
network access.

Have you checked your bios to see if you can disable ethernet? It's
usually in the onboard peripherals setting someplace. That's what I do
when things like on board sound and a sound card don't play nice.

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 22:39, Don E. Kauffman wrote:
> I wish it were that simple. The TLAN is built in and is therefoire not
> amenable to switching -- or am I missing something??
>
> Don K.
>
> On Friday 04 October 2002 10:32 pm, you wrote:
> > I don't know the answer but I've had a hunch that swapping the physical
> > locations of the cards might accomplish that.  However I haven't had the
> > opportunity/need to test that hunch.
> >
> > On Friday 04 October 2002 09:35 pm, (Via wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I've had a problem with the networking on the linux box. I have a TLAN
> > > (eth0) built in -- and it does not seem to be functioning anymore --
> > > along with a D-link (eth1)  I spent all day yesterday off the net trying
> > > to figure out how I could reconfigure the system to have the D-Link be
> > > eth0 and assign eth1 to TLAN.  I ffinally noticed in the man page on
> > > dhcpcd that I could change the interface that dhcp was "attached" to.
> > > Hence I am now able to connect again!!
> > >
> > > Is there a way to flipflop the two interfaces? Here's what I've tried so
> > > far.
> > >
> > > 1. Changed the aliases in modules.conf from this
> > > alias eth0 tlan
> > > alias eth1 8139too
> > >
> > > to this
> > > alias eth0 8139too
> > > alias eth1 tlan
> > >
> > > and rebooted the machine. dmesg showed that it was still regarding the
> > > tlan as eth0.
> > >
> > > 2. Used the network configuration GUI in RH 7.2 to reconfigure the tlan
> > > to eth1. Looked at the ifconfig output for eth0 and it shows tlan.
> > >
> > > 3. recompiled the kernel to compile the ethernet modules separately trom
> > > the kernel. (I compiled the RH7.2  2.4.9-34 version of the kernel.)
> > >
> > > 4. On reboot, dmesg still shows the system as setting eth0 to the tlan.
> > >
> > > 5. I modprobed the respective modules into the kernel and found I had to
> > > re-configure the routing tables. The RH network confiuguration GUI shows
> > > that the tlan is eth1 and the D-Link as eth0. (I'm beginning to thiink
> > > that particular tool bears only a faint resemblence to reality . . .)
> > >
> > > It's not a big deal if I can't get the tlan setup as eth1 now that I know
> > > I can get the same results by having dhcp interface with the D-Link on
> > > eth1 but it would be nice to know if I'm missing anything, So please make
> > > suggestions or, at least, let me know if what I want to do isn't
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Don Kauffman
-- Daniel Pfile - daniel AT pfile DAWT net