[olug] Real opportunity for getting Open Source into the Enterprise

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Tue Nov 26 15:30:07 UTC 2002

In my experience most of these questions can't be answered until we have
som e idea of the size of the current DB.  What the standard growth rate
is, so we can forecast data storage requirements for a 5 year time frame.

Also, we would need a basic functionality list to know what to ask next
AND it would be nice to know where/how the data is currently stored.  If
it's win16 then dbase/btrieve are the most likely answers.  Which would
tend to make me think that Oracle would be overkill.  Once we know
functionality and data requirements we can start debating
mysql/postgres/et al.  For a volunteer project OSS though, I would think
that we would use only OSS components.

-jeff hinrichs