[olug] Unix Tip: GET THE HIDDEN FILES

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Nov 20 20:29:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Dean wrote:

> This brings back wonderful newb admin memories :D
> *<forces smile to hide pain> Ah, good times, good times.

I recall years ago when I first started using Linux, getting drunk one night
and changing my root password. I woke up the next morning and could not
remember the new password, that was smart. At that time, the only way around
this that I knew of was to boot from the install media and mount the partition
and vi /etc/password (no shadow in those days), but that took me a day to
figure out. Looking back, I don't know if "single" was a valid boot argument
or not.

Moral of the story, never do anything stupid, when you're, uh, getting stupid.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

Who wants to live in a bad neighborhood for IP?  Sorry, IPv6 or so.
(I'm setting myself up in a bad way here:  I want to live in a red-light
(for experimental IP) neighborhood.)
-- Steve Nordquist, ToSsers, etc., 03/10/01