[olug] Mail Relaying w/Filtering

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Thu Nov 14 16:38:37 UTC 2002

Oddly enough, I'm almost done with a very similar project for my
employer.  We are trying to get linux systems to report status/log
information in automatically via the internet.  What I found to be the
lowest-headache-factor method was to have the systems report the info to
a web page.  Specifically to a cgi or java servlet that can do something
intelligent (anything you want pretty much) with the info once it's
submitted.  Going out on port 80 avoids firewall issues almost every
time.  If your ISP tries to block port 80 incoming, change ISPs.

If you, or anyone working with you on the project, has c/c++ or java
coding skills it's rather easy to set up a web server with a cgi or java
servlet to accept HTTP POST or HTTP GET submissions.  If the information
has a static structure this will be really easy, and it's still do-able
if the amount or content of the information is variable.

Once your collection-point web server has the data, it can email it out
again, or compile summary reports, or do alarm notification if the data
is a critical alert, etc.

In my project, I've found that the hardest part is not collecting the
data, but assembling web-based summaries and reports that are pretty
enough to satisfy the management and marketing people :)

Nick Walter