[olug] Samba PDC and Samba Fileserver

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Tue Nov 12 14:40:20 UTC 2002

Some of the issues I was having was the fact that I can't see the Samba
config on the Fileserver machine Iomega NAS 300U - 120 GB, FreeBSD, Samba
2.0.10. When you log via FTP, you're chroot'ed, so you can't back up and
see anything.  The only open ports on the box are for fileserving.

Also, when I first configured the Fileserver machines, it was before I had
entered the user accounts and machine trust accounts on the PDC.  By
switching the Fileserver from Domain, to Workgroup, and then back to
Domain again, I was prompted to "Combine" the accounts from the PDC.

Once done, all of my connection issues went away.

The Iomega NAS is a nice unit - it basically has a MicroATX board, of
which the Ethernet interface in the only available connector (all the
others are blocked by the case).  It comes with three Hard Drives, most
likely running software raid.  Interface software works good through a
browser.  Not bad.  Available user connection options are ftp, http, nfs,
apple.

The PDC is a Cobalt Qube 3, with some of the Samba config changed
manually, to 'massage' the settings.

I had found an article or two on making a PDC on a few websites, but found
the Samba-PDC-HOWTO much more fulfilling, as well as this article (a Q&D)
<http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/print/0,,12083_1151091,00.html>

I believe the roaming profile issue is related to putting the Group
Policies on the Windows 9x machine.  That is where my next step is.

More later,
Jon L.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Brian Roberson wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:35:43 -0600
> From: Brian Roberson <roberson at olug.org>
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: Re: [olug] Samba PDC and Samba Fileserver
>

> > Do I need to make these accounts local on the Fileserver to allow for
> > connections?  Or, does the Samba Fileserver use the domain accounts?
>
> they need to be local ( OR... use pam_smb ... but that is a whole other ball
> of wax.... )
>

> > I'm looking for an answer before I spend a few hours of typing in
> > accounts that I may not have to.
>
> awk is your friend, ( just one way ) heck, you should only need to type
> about 3 lines to any number of users setup :)
>
> here is even a one liner:
> ###########
> scp $machine_with_accounts:/etc/passwd /tmp/pp ; awk -F: '{if $3 > 500 {
> useradd $1; }}' /tmp/pp ; rm -f /tmp/pp ;pwck
>

> > Another related item is this:  The Net logon feature of the Samba PDC is
> > working, but the Profiles is not.  I followed the directions in a few
> > sources, but I haven't had any success.
>
> What documentation have you tried to follow?

 [ Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net         ]
 [ ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl               ]
 [ PGP Pubkey - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl/relayerpubkey.txt ]