[olug] Nov. Meeting Topics

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Nov 4 15:31:58 UTC 2002

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:15:59 -0600
Ryan <rps at willconsult.com> wrote:

|At 07:58 PM 10/31/2002 -0600, you wrote:
|>Though it's not on the list... I could revamp my talk I did for the ACM
|>chapter and talk about how the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television
|>Promotion Act (CBDTPA - consume but dont try programming act), Trusted
|>Computing/Palladium, and DMCA is all bad news for GNU/Linux and such...
|>I'm sure Irish could talk on this too.
|>
|>peace
|>Brian
|
|That would be interesting.  I've thought about coming up with a
|presentation like that for our group up here.  I think too few people
|realize the implications of the DMCA.  The CBDTPA I've never even heard
of.

|-Ryan

Yep, I hadn't really heard of the CBDTPA either much until I started
reading about it in relation to the other stuff.  This is the current bill
that would outlaw all current computer systems and software - any
computing device with out Digital Rights Management hardcoded into it
owned and controlled by the entertainment industries and Microsoft.  This
would also outlaw GNU/Linux and open source projects as well.

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart