Today's Gift from Hazelden - 5/16/02

hazeldenthought at gofast.net hazeldenthought at gofast.net
Thu May 16 08:07:25 UTC 2002

Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 03:07:25 -0500

Today's thought is:
"Summer afternoon--summer afternoon; to me
those have always been the two most beautiful
words in the English language."
--Henry James

Low humming sounds and sun-baked hazy days lull
us into the slowed pace of summertimes. When we
were growing up nothing was more magic than
summertime. The hot-sweet-smelling days seemed
to stretch on forever then. Summer was play itself, a
seemingly endless string of months to work off
energy and dream about the possibilities of
everything and anything. Long daylight hours gave
us a world that seemed boundless in its capacity to
soothe and delight.

Children know best how to settle down into the
heart of summer, to let go in deep down ways, to
simply "be" and enjoy.

How long has it been since we sat down with
summer and let her envelop us with smells, sounds,
and memories? Just sitting still outside on a
summer night, getting reacquainted with the season,
can make us feel like kids again.

Today, let me make the time to relax into a summer
day in the way of childhood.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Today's meditation comes from the book
Seasons of the Spirit by Sally Coleman and Maria Porter copyright 1994
available through our online bookstore at:
http://www.hazeldenbookplace.org/store/product.asp?sku=7818

SerenityNow! lets you choose a meditation that's just right for you today.
http://www.hazeldenbookplace.org/serenitynow

SEND TODAY'S MEDITATION TO A FRIEND:
Brighten a friend's day by forwarding them this e-mail!
Click forward, address, and send.  Subscribe at: http://www.todaysgift.org

TO UNSUBSCRIBE
1. Click on the reply icon of your e-mail system
2.  Change the subject line to Unsubscribe, send.
(If the automatic unsubscribe function does not work for you,
FORWARD this e-mail to todaysgift at hazelden.org and tell
us you wish to unsubscribe. It is very important that we
see the address to which we have been sending you emails.)

TO CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS:
Send an e-mail to todaysgift at hazelden.org, please include
both your old and new e-mail addresses.

TO SEND US A MESSAGE:
Was today's thought especially meaningful to you? We're interested
in your feedback. To contact us, DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail. Instead,
please create a separate message and send it to todaysgift at hazelden.org.