[olug] advice on UNO computer science degree

Chris Garrity m0ntar3 at cox.net
Wed May 15 23:16:42 UTC 2002

I finished the CS program at UNO last fall, the cerimony happened last
Friday (while I was at 32 ft flying east over the Colorado).

Like I've been told, n += 101, any degree, anywhere is what you put into
it. At UNO it's probably a little easier than at MIT to "skip" by, but
if you're motivated, it's as good as anywhere ('cuz nobody cares where
you do your undergrad as long as it's done).

Using the academic counseling makes a huge difference; this can't be
overstated. They know who's good and who's not and what to take when...

My advice:
- take a couple extra math classes. I took "combinatorics" and "graph
theory," neither are required. Number theory and Finite Automata I
missed :-(
- Take the compiler class if it's being offered (when you get that far).
I took as my very last course; it's not required by the program but it's
required at just about every other university. The class is offered off
and on, and why that is ain't worth knowing ("We don't hire compiler
writers?").
- Take Operating System, Network Communications.
- Remember these names when choosing what classes: Fulkerson, J. Clark,
Dr. Ali, Dr. Mahoney (take all their classes).
- Ask an advisor about the instructor before enrolling if you're not sure.
- Read the book, go to lecture, do the homework, and above all WRITE
YOUR OWN CODE!
- Make certain to eat as much free food as you can; there are booths
setup in the PKI atrium almost every week by "prospective employers".
- Being loud and blosterous about separation between industry and
academia (donations don't justify dications) causes more trouble then
it's worth.
- Don't tell anybody in the English department how nice the new building
is, or how much the chandeler in the atrium cost ($110k), o how much a
CS professor gets paid ($90k).

All and all the CS program at UNO did me great (and it's getting better
every semester). BUT, what made all the difference in my education and
how far I've come since '98 is my curiosity and the thing called "Linux"
and "Open Source".

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org