[olug] ezmlm program issue

OLUG Use just4olug at yahoo.com
Sun May 12 01:56:13 UTC 2002

It seems to be necessary to elaborate a bit, however tactful is necessary
as not to _offend_ while at the same time --- attempt to receive some
serious assistance with this issue.

> As I replied to you previously.. I cannot do anything about your email
> when it bounces you with:
>
> <lug at robotz.com>:
> 64.21.193.122 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <lug at robotz.com>... User unknown
> Giving up on 64.21.193.122.

My mail server does not allow 'vrfy'.  The lug account does exist.  ezmlm
seems to think so in that it has _continued_ to send messages to the address.
Perhaps there was an issue a few weeks ago that was brief but enough to create
the log entry(s) that you continue to mention.

> This is from your server, not mine. I understand that you are getting
> email now, this was probably some temporary configuration problem you have
> now fixed. Simply re-subscribe and you should be ok.

I have attempted several times to  re-subscribe.  I didn't mention this because
it is not only the logical course of action, but I guess I expected you to have
assumed as much.  I apologize if I was not articulate in my description of the
problem.

Please allow me to be very specific here:

1. The lug at robotz.com account is valid today.
2. Re-subscription attempts seem to be an exercise in futility.
3. I am willing to try any useful suggestions.

I've donated my time to the OLUG and your web site.  Please now return the
favor and look at your maillog or something.  By that, I do not mean for you
to keep dragging out that old 550 message from over two weeks ago, I mean
take a peek and see what went on recently when I tried to re-subscribe.

Is there a time when you suggest that I attempt something so that you can
watch and see what is going on?  Constructive assistance will be appreciated.
Brian, you tell me what to try and I will try it.

~

Christopher: After reading your response, I wonder if this has something to
do with the problem:

> you use some kind of alias for your subscription, or if your subscribed
> and posting address don't match for any other reason, then ezmlm will
> reject your messages.

My lug at robotz.com is an alias defined in virtusertable.  However, I can send
email "from" the address by simply piping into sendmail or using an email
client that allows me to enter the aliased address.  I have been using this
system successfully ever since I joined the OLUG mailing list.  However,
I am guessing that since Brian changed to this new list management software,
there is now an issue.

If that is not the problem, perhaps there is a 'blocking' of address that is
occuring here.

Christopher, your offer to assist is probably directed mainly at Brian,
however,
it is appreciated.  I am humble enough to receive assistance openly from
someone
that offers.  Not to offend anyone, but sometimes maybe some people come off
sounding a bit negative in such situations.  Hopefully, we can all be humbled
by what we learn and those to whom take the time to contribute and offer to
help.  That is the whole point behind a Linux User Group.

Thank you,

-DW

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com