[olug] Abiword footnotes/Latex plug

Dave Burchell burchell at inebraska.com
Thu May 2 20:20:24 UTC 2002

Tanya Loughead says:

> More on the whole word processor debate:

> I suppose that which word processor one uses is related to the task at one's
> hands.... {I'm writing my Ph.D. dissertation.}
> I was immediately attracted to Abi-Word because of its simplicity.  (Not
> surprisingly) I come from using Microsoft word, and the AbiWord commands are
> very similar.  I tried to use StarOffice, but that program is so big, that
> the possibility for problems and bugs is likewise "big."  (I am still
> waiting for feedback from Sun on a major problem that I am having with
> StarOffice.)
> SO--
> Here's a question to everyone on the list: Given that one may only need text
> capabilities, which Linux-based word processor do you find to be the best?
> It seems that everyone is casting votes for LaTeX thus far.... is that the
> general consensus?
> Thanks for the input,
> Tanya

My advice: try using LyX in DocBook mode.  I think it will do
everything you need.  Plus, with LyX you get the ease of a slick GUI,
the power of the occasional LaTeX or TeX command, and the ability to
dump the paper out as DocBook and process it with XML tools should you
ever need to.

However, I don't think there is a consensus on this issue.  Here's my
guide on what each technology is good for, IMHO.

XML:
* Documents that will eventually be presented in various media, such as
  HTML, text, and PDF (or even comma-separated values).
* Documents that need to be automatically processed for various applications,
  such as custom sorted views, chapter summaries, unusual indexing, or RDF
  publishing.
* Documents that will be maintained or revised by a number of different
  people, such as a collaborative authoring project.
* Documents that will be edited by people who don't all use the same OS
  and application software.
* Documents that will be needed in the future, and need to outlive a
  given release of application software, e.g., product documentation.

LaTeX/TeX:
* Math heavy documents.
* Documents that need to be visually designed page-by-page.
* Documents that require minute control over every detail of the page.

LyX:
* Documents that must look good and be consistent, but are being
  written by somebody who prefers to see how the end product is going to
  look as they go along.
* Authors who like a GUI but don't want to give up structure.

StarOffice:
* Unstructured documents.
* Writing quick letters home to Grandma.
* Making a sign about your lost pet for posting around the neighborhood.
* Reading Microsoft Word documents.
* Creating simple Microsoft Word documents for other people to edit.
* Authors who know Microsoft Word and don't want to adjust their thinking
  at all at the moment.

Microsoft Word:
* Hmm, can't think of any good uses off hand...

My above treatment of XML, LaTeX, TeX, and LyX is a bit simplistic.  For
example, you can use LyX as an editor for DocBook, a popular XML
application.  Also, you can include raw TeX and LaTeX in your LyX
documents, you can export and import LaTeX with LyX, and you can find
packages that will turn LaTeX documents into nice collections of Web
pages.

A warning: In my experience, you cannot count on being able to exchange
Microsoft Word documents between versions or platforms.  Don't try
unless you hate yourself deeply and wish to suffer.

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org