[olug] debian+reiserfs

Nate Rotschafer writetogenius at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 6 05:43:21 UTC 2002

Ok let me clarify this for those people interested in it as all of my debian
machines (now 2 soon to be 4) are running with ReiserFS.  You need to
download the bf2.4 disk images and make them into disks.  You can find these
at:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4/

This assumes a couple of things....1) You want to use the testing branch
"Woody" which is not unstable in my experience and 2) you have a high speed
internet connection to do a net install from.  Now all you really need are
the rescue, and root disks because the drivers can be downloaded over the
network; however, I would RECOMMEND you download the driver disks in case
your NIC is not directly supported.  These boot disks support ReiserFS,
EXT3, EXT2.  You can create all partitions you normally would ReiserFS
except that you should create /boot as ext2 just in case there are problems
(though I have heard you can make it reiser with newer boot managers).
Obviously you boot off the rescue and go through the normal process and
insert the root disk when prompted and from there on out it should be a
pretty std. Debian install.  Anymore questions just let me know!!!

Thanks,
Nate Rotschafer

>From: Christopher Cashell <topher at zyp.org>
>To: olug <olug at bstc.net>
>Subject: Re: [olug] debian+reiserfs
>Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:14:16 -0600
>
>At Tue, 05 Mar 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Adam Lassek, said:
> > Can anybody recommend a debian/woody install disk set that supports
> > reiserfs? I was using the ones from digitaltux.org, but when I went to
> > download them this time I found that the website was gone. Too bad,
> > those were a nice set of disks.
>
>I'd try the new semi-official Debian 'netinst'[1] CD.  The latest image,
>from Feb 15th, uses boot-floppies 3.0.19, which includes the new bf2.4
>flavor (which is a 2.4.17 kernel, and supports ReiserFS and ext3
>natively;-).  This is, of course, assuming you have a fast network
>connection and are able to download the rest of the distribution, after
>booting the install from the CD.
>
>If you don't have a fast network connection on the machine you're
>installing from, I'd use one of the weekly built testing pre-release
>CD's available for download[2], or even better, use jigdo[3] to create
>your own[4].
>
>The new boot-floppies flavor, bf2.4, was an extremely notable change
>with the latest release, as it allows a choice between a 2.2.x kernel
>and a 2.4.x kernel for the installation.
>
> > I'm running Mandrake right now... it's nice and all, but rpms are a pain
> > in the butt. I want apt-get back ;)
>
>Yeah, life is so much less pleasant without apt-get. ;-)
>
>[1] http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/
>[2] http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
>[3] http://atterer.net/jigdo/
>[4] http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
>
>--
>Christopher
>
><< attach3 >>

"Only those who think know, but those wo know always think."
Nate Rotschafer
Millard West High School
Omaha, NE