[olug] mount ext3 fs as ext2 with ext2 kernel

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Fri Mar 1 07:41:50 UTC 2002

I have ext3 on my computer, just one / partition on hda. (actually, I have
this prob on 2 computers, but neways...) and I need to mount it to edit
some files/get some files off.

I have a good kernel with ext2 support, and boot floppies with also ext2
support.  I heard ext3 is backwards compatible with ext2, so why can't I
mount the devices as ext2?

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt/host

I've been using the linuxcare boot disks to do this, to no avail.

as this page says:
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html

I tried... <THIS>

- Switching between ext2 and ext3

ext3 filesystems may still be mounted by ext2 as long as they have been
cleanly unmounted.  ext2 will refuse to mount ext3 filesystems which
have not been cleanly shut down, because there is live data still in the
journal which ext2 does not know how to deal with.
The e2fsck application from e2fsprogs can perform journal replay, so
running

<THIS>	e2fsck -fy /dev/hdXX

on a damaged ext3 filesystem will repair it, allowing ext2 to mount it.
ext3 software will refuse to mount an ext2 filesystem - at present there
must be a journal file on the filesystem.

- LILO options for the root filesystem
If your root filesystem is ext3, an ext3-capable kernel will, by default,
mount it using ext3.  This may be overridden via the following LILO
option:

<THIS> LILO: linux rootfstype=ext2
You may provide mount options to the root filesystem via LILO using the
rootflags
option.  For example:

<THIS> LILO: linux rootflags=data=journal

any ideas/suggestions, please?  Know where I can get a boot floppy with
ext3 support?

Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.net | aim: unolinuxguru
GnuPG = www.unomaha.edu/bwiese/gpg/bwiese-gpg.html
          "FREEDOM!"  - Braveheart