[olug] Advice on a white box builder

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Jun 26 22:12:07 UTC 2002

At Wed, 26 Jun 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Jeff Hinrichs, said:

> I'm looking for input on a white box builder.  Can be either local or
> online.  I need to replace some PCs at work and don't want to fork out
> what the majors are asking.

Whatever you do, avoid Computer By Malone like the plague.  Their
systems, their prices, and their support are about the worst I've ever
seen.

When I did the computer side of cable modem installations (for
USwest/Qwest TeleChoice, for over 3 years), Malone machines were
everyone's worst nightmare.  One of the installers actually quit after
having to deal with three of them in a single day, and having each one
turn into a horrible ordeal.

Personally, I'd suggest buying it by the parts, and building it
yourself, if you're looking to go that route.  Chances are the price
will be comparable to what you'll pay from a major retailer (assuming
you use quality parts), but you'll have the advantage of knowing that
each piece and part is up to your quality standards, and will work
reliably.

Also, as someone else mentioned, don't be so quick to dismiss some of
the major retailers.  While I wouldn't personally buy a PC from Compaq,
Acer, HP, etc, there are a number of them that do make fairly high
quality machines, like Dell, Micron, Gateway, etc.  Often times, you'll
get nearly as good a price from them as from a local white-box, and if
you're willing to shell out a few more dollars, the support and warranty
can be worth it.

--
Christopher

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm