[olug] Advice on a white box builder

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Jun 26 21:21:31 UTC 2002

Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> I'm looking for input on a white box builder.  Can be either local or
> online.  I need to replace some PCs at work and don't want to fork out
> what the majors are asking.

In my experience all the local retail places suck, whether you need
individual components or whole computers.  There are some non-retail places
around, but they only deal with companies that sell computers and almost
never with end users.

In terms of on-line vendors... I LOVE NewEgg.com: they have just about the
best selection of quality parts (AOpen, Asus, Tyan, Giga-Byte, Seagate,
Kingston, 3com, Crucial) and not-so-quality-parts I've seen at prices that
kick but.  They just don't assemble the computer for you :)

For a place that will build it for you... I've had some experience with
Access Micro (http://www.accessmicro.com) - they have a pretty good
selection of components at decent prices and will even build the computer
for you :)  Just don't order systems in large quantities (ie 5 or more) -
they didn't do a very good job on a set of 40 my boss bought for his kids'
school.

Oh, and don't diss "the majors" (particularly Dell) so quickly - there are
certain advantages to buying a major brand (their support itself is worth it
if you've got a large number of workstations).  From what I can see it's
hard to build a similarly spec'ed system as cheaply as they do once you take
into account their shipping charges and support contracts.

Phil

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org