[olug] SMTP relay?

Timothy G. O'Brien irishmasms at netscape.net
Tue Jun 25 02:39:40 UTC 2002

Greetings all!

I am in the need for SMTP relay service for work (read free - I work for a Library). Our previous ISP had one, which I used to email my personal email accounts on different domains when the UPS acted up (using the APC software). I was also looking at having the servers auto email the backup and other kron job logs from our server(s) but had not gotten that far on that project. I am looking at outbound traffic only - no inbound needed; since our inbound is on a different domain managed by a separate organization - And the traffic outbound will be minimal as well.

I have ample hardware available, the fastest being P333 tower systems and a few P200 servers.

In a previous life for the same need we used "Hermies", a free ware (I think) SMTP relay for WinDoz. It worked as well as I needed it to. I was wanting to start using Linux more, thinking this might be a perfect opportunity. Before I start heading down the wrong path I though that posing the list for your suggestions would help me head down the correct path. Would it be easer to find a free or open relay somewhere, rather than setting up our own? Is there a Linux package that already does this, or (heave forbid) WinDoz app that would integrate well into our already M$ hell?

I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/ideas – and a big thank you in advance!

--
   Timothy "Irish" O'Brien

   1951 South 15th Street
   Omaha, NE