[olug] Kremlin website unbreakable?!?

Aaron Grothe grothe at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 22 04:49:12 UTC 2002

Hi,

I saw this interesting story on wired http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,53412,00.html about how they tried to make the kremlin's website unbreakable, and how they thought it might be vunerable to the apache chunking problem.

So I decided to see which version of Apache and Linux it is running on according to netcraft

The site www.president.kremlin.ru is running Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) rus/PL30.4 on FreeBSD

this conflicted with what the article said so I went to http://www.president.kremlin.ru and it resolved to the following IP 194.226.82.50

Putting the IP 194.226.82.50 into netcraft led to the following

The site 194.226.82.50 is running Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) on Linux.

So it looks like the kremlin is using a FreeBSD firewall and hosting the content on Linux.  Or they might be playing around with system identification and be running it all on Windoze :-p

If you found the above half as interesting as I did, well then I found it twice as interesting as you did.

Regards,

Aaron
=-=-=
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying