[olug] Need guru help

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Mon Jun 17 20:28:59 UTC 2002

> What kernel version - and below by stock I assume you really mean "Vendor
> Patched" kernel?

Stock == 'Vendor patched' (In this case 2.4.18-6mdksmp)
Recompiled == 2.4.18 (grabbed from kernel.org, no patches)

> Is your system BIOS fully MP 1.4 compliant? If you have a choice of MP
> versions try setting the version to 1.4 (assuming a 'true' stock kernel)
> and then seeing. If you still get the errors then try 1.1 - if the errors
> go away with 1.1 bummer as that would imply you have a single APIC vector
> table. 8-{

I have no idea.  How can this be determined and set?

> > I didn't see these with with the stock SMP kernel.  I can change the
> > frequency by monkeying with some kernel settings before recompile (these
> > errors were coming in every 15 seconds), but I'm not sure (now) what
> > settings helped curb them (I may have just shut down the APIC
> > reporting.)
>
> What settings - and 'stock' = ????
stock==see above.
Doing a diff on the .config and .config.old for the kernel compile
(which cut back the number of APIC errors and the lost interrupts):

< # CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
< # CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
< # CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
---
> CONFIG_MICROCODE=y
> CONFIG_X86_MSR=y
> CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y
93,95c93,111
< # CONFIG_PM is not set
< # CONFIG_ACPI is not set
< # CONFIG_APM is not set
---
> CONFIG_PM=y
<snipped a bunch of power management options>

319c335
< CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y
---
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC is not set
556a573
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_ACPI is not set

As a further note, this machine is does not receive (nor will it ever
receive) heavy traffic.  The machine just needs to be UP and able to see
hard drives on the dang Promise RAID controller (which was the whole
reason that I had to tinker with the kernel in the first place).  If I
need to shut off the SMP ability of the MB, that is an option since I
think a single processor will handle the traffic fine (1 Ghz is probably
overkill).

The second net interface on the board is un-used.  (Mostly this is a
reply to Nick's response about ping floods.  I may go with the
resolution of -noapic in lilo.)

Thanks, feeling stupid(er),
Carl Lundstedt
UNL