[olug] Why I no longer care about Disney.

William E. Kempf williamkempf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:04:16 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Walker" <linux_user at grax.com>
To: <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [olug] Why I no longer care about Disney.

> Doesn't work:
> The software industry has spent the last 20 years looking at copy
protection
> and they have come to the conclusion that it does not work.  Why should
the
> movie industry expect the software industry to suddenly make it work just
> because it is legally mandated?

<sarcasm>
They've come to the conlclusion that it doesn't work?  Then why do they
continue to try and employ copy protection?
</sarcasm>

I'm not disagreeing with you that copy protection doesn't work.  I'm just
pointing out that despite this "knowledge" the industry is still employing
copy protection schemes that do nothing more then annoy (at best) the
legitimate owners of the software in the attempt to at least reduce the
number of illegal copies made.  You shouldn't be surprised that the
entertainmnet industries are following suit here, even if you should be
annoyed by it.  Personally, I hope the amount of annoyance and the number of
people annoyed are both increased enough by the new segment of users that
purchase things like movie DVDs but won't touch a computer to actually get
our legal system to realize that such efforts shouldn't be allowed under the
law.  Legitimate use gaurantees under the law MUST NOT be undermined just
because there are criminals who are quite willing to violate copyright laws.

Bill Kempf

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org