[olug] debain firewall

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Jun 5 19:31:24 UTC 2002

> Carl, did you do a net install?  which disks do I need?  I was RTFM but
> was not sure on how the network install worked since my driver disk
> didn't work.  I know the 2 cards in the machine are using the 8139too
> module.
Eric,
I did a cd install with the Potato ISOs (2.2 kernel) I got off of
linuxiso.org.  Once I had the cd's burned I followed the Install readmes
to get boot and root floppies and went from there (this is from memory,
but it was basically some dd commands to get root and boot).  I couldn't
do a net install on the laptop since I was doing all this in my
"workspace" at home and didn't have a net connection for the computer.

I'm not sure how I'd do all this if I wanted the 2.4 kernel (for all the
2.4 IP goodies) besides installing 2.2. and recompiling the 2.4 on
machine (which will probably bring some headaches I'm sure).

For my router/fileserver/firewall at home I just did a custom Mandrake
install.  No-X, samba, no internet clients (save ftp for updates) custom
iptable scripts I found on the OLUG site. I tried a couple of different
options for this machine.  SMB-gateway server (that left NO options open
to the user including no option to install SAMBA), RH7.2 (ugh I'm not
sure what they did to RH, but it ain't pretty.  RH didn't want to play
nice with my CDROM drive) and Mandrake single network firewall (didn't
have everything I wanted) I finally just went with Mandrake custom.
People say Mandrake isn't a server distro which is probably true on
large scale projects, but for what I do it's been fine.

Again, Good Luck
Carl Lundstedt
UNL

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm