[olug] Problems Setting up DHCP for Cox Migration

Robert A. Jacobs r.a.jacobs at home.com
Sat Jan 19 03:58:20 UTC 2002

Okay...so I get my cox kit today and I've been reading the experiences,
questions, what have you from others on the list and I figure that I
should probably make sure I'm set for DHCP.

What do you know, I'm not...I'm running static, even though I distinctly
remember installing the DHCP client daemon (dhcpcd) a few months ago
when I migrated to Mandrake from another distro.  (To be honest, though,
when I set this box up I had problems getting the network running and I
might have just set it to static to get things working and never got
back to it.)

So, methinks to meself, "Me, why don't we just turn on DHCP and then
we'll be done". That didn't work though.

After poking around, reading the man page for dhcpcd, etc. I see that
dhcpcd is installed in /sbin but it is not starting at boot ("ps aux |
grep dhcpcd" confirms this).  Is there a script or config file I need to
edit somewhere that I've missed?

For what its worth, there does not appear to be any script specifically
intended to start dhcpcd in the /etc/init.d directory like I would have
expected (might explain why I set things to static before).

Since installing the dhcpcd app doesn't seem to include the necessary
startup scripts, what is the correct way for getting this sucker to
start and run correctly? Do I need to whip up a little script myself and
put that in the appropriate runlevels? If so, does anyone have a
complete script already?

Given that the migration from Cox to..um..Cox is coming sometime soon,
any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Rob

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org