[olug] Palm report

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Tue Jan 15 16:06:30 UTC 2002

I know that there are other Palm users on this list.  I've decided to do
some research on the state of Palm with Linux, and was quite impressed.
It's a lot better than it was a year or so ago . .

I installed the gnome-palm suite from Ximian and have been quite
impressed.  They have a simple calendar and an address book that syncs
flawlessly with the Palm.  I'd highly recommend it if you are a GNOME
user (and the latest Ximian GNOME, too, though that's off topic).

I also have recently discovered Plucker . . . it's a GPL'ed Avantgo clone
with a few improvements . . . for example, the web pages are not sync'ed
with a central server, but your machine gathers the web pages, compresses
them and converts them to a Palm DB.  Not only does this allow you more
privacy, but you can also convert local HTML files and put them into Plucker.
The Plucker Reader on the Palm is also much more responsive than the Avantgo
reader is and the DB's are smaller (because they are zlib compressed).
It's quite cool.  It's probably the best reader I've found for the Palm
platform.

The bad things about Plucker -- the Linux/Unix version is very easy to use
and has no graphical front-end and, as of yet, there is not conduit for
the gnome-pilot suite (though it would be easy to write one).  The
Windows version is much easier, I think.  Also, it requires Python (which
everyone should have installed anyway, right??? At least I think so . . . ).

check it out: http://www.plkr.org/

over and out . . .

-- mikeh

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm