[olug] Setting Up Netcfg Correctly?

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at home.com
Wed Jan 2 03:53:50 UTC 2002

> Since we've seen some discussion on networking, I
> wanted to check to see if I have my little network
> setup right.
If you can surf, you most likely have your IP stuff setup correctly....

> I have seen an example on how to setup netcfg under a
> dial up modem, but not a cable modem.  But under the
> interface button, does eth0 and eth1 refer to my two
> machines?  And clicking edit I can assign an IP
> address here, correct?
I'm not sure about netcfg, I use linuxconf to change IP stuff after setup.
eth0 is your first network card.
If you have more than 1, then they would be setup as eth1, eth2, etc.

> Also, under the Names button, what is a Nameserver,
> and it appears there is an IP address assigned here,
> can anyone explain that in more detail, or add
> anything else in setting up my network properly.
Simplistic Answer: A nameserver is a server which performs name to ip
address translation and ip-> name resolution. i.e. You enter www.yahoo.com
in to your browser, your browser then queries your specified nameserver and
it returns the IP address for that name.  Your browser then submits its
request to the ip address returned.  Your browser remembers the IP for
www.yahoo.com until you exit it.  If you then start it up again, the process
is repeated.

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org