[olug] Update Re: [olug] Other distros

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Feb 27 17:13:51 UTC 2002

Well I took the plunge last night.

Found a very nice boot manager (shareware $25).  Tried some open
source/free boot managers and none of them worked worth a crap (pardon the
language)  It's called Partition Boot Manager (from
http://www.sadevelopments.com).  Real original name, but it works great,
and has some neat features (like complete independence from all the OS's).

My first stab at a new distro is......... Lycoris (aka Redmond) Linux!  Da
Da-daaa!

Read the review linked to Slashdot yesterday and liked what I read.
Downloaded, burned the iso, and took it home.

I just got through the install last night (I should know better than to
stay up till 2 am at my age), but overall the install went very smoothly.

Booted from the CD, answered it's questions, locked it up with a video
probe (don't probe when it's already detected the card correctly),
restarted, answered questions again, crashed it out on my mouse (read the
directions Bill),   restarted, answered the questions for the 3rd time,
played some solitaire (neat feature of the install), and booted into Linux.
Elapsed time was under 45 minutes even with the restarts.

First impression was that it's a very "pretty" distro.  Haven't had time to
do much more than log on, get yelled at by the OS for logging in as root,
then logging in as my user.  Tried out Mozilla and it seemed very quick.

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the install so far.  Much easier than any
other I've done.  Now I just hope the bloody sound works.

Bill

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org