[olug] Other distros

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 19 18:57:16 UTC 2002

I've been playing with Linux for about 7 years now, and believe me, I still
can't do half of what I can do in Windows, but I keep learning.  I have a
big hill to climb to get my wife off of Windows, but she knows how I feel
about XP's license.  So she'll either stay on 98, or she'll go to Linux,
although Lindows looks promising.

I think Grub has config files and such on the linux partition, and can't
exist without it.  I have found a couple of boot managers today that seem
to be pretty OS independent.  Partition Manager (Ranish) has a boot manager
that seems to be installed and configured with the Partition Manager
software, which can reside on a boot floppy.  I also found Smart Boot
Manager.  This bad boy installs completely into the MBR, and is
self-contained.  I'm going to try both of these out and I'll report my
findings if anyone is interested.

Bill