[olug] boot sector

Ryan rps at willconsult.com
Mon Dec 30 21:58:37 UTC 2002

At 03:48 PM 12/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> From time to time I have to re install windows and when I do windows
> deactivates the boot sector on my dual boot machine.  Is there any way I
> can prevent this from happening.
>
>Thanks,
>Nate

Well to fix it I usually boot from a floppy, then run 'lilo', which
rewrites the boot record.  If you are using grub you need to run
'grub-install', I believe.  But I don't know how you could prevent it from
happening all together.  Windows does not have the flexibility of telling
it not to install a boot loader, like most Linux distributions do.

-Ryan