[olug] Problems with CD installs

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Tue Dec 24 16:40:23 UTC 2002

Has anyone else been having troubles lately with CD based installs on
older systems?  I've been running in to problems several times of late
with older machines who were running older versions of Linux (RH7.2 and
previous) not being able to upgrade/install from RH7.3, RH8.0, Mandrake 9
ISO images burnt to disk.  These machines can read CD-R disks but it
appears if the image is over 650MB there is a good chance I will have
problems.

I've tried burning the ISOs at slower speeds (4x) but the problem persists.

I've had to do local FTP installs to get these machines upgraded.  Is it
just me and chaos that I've run in to some unusual problems or have others
encountered similar situations?

If others have it might be a good idea to have a FTP server at the
installfest to handle these types of situations.

-jeff