[olug] Gentoo install /wo bootable CD?

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Mon Dec 23 21:23:54 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:14:50PM -0600, neal r wrote:

>   Why is the 1.2 ISO  out there and so visible  :-(

I dunno the answer to that.  I'm not sure it is, considering that 1.4 is what
they are always talking about on their homepage, and the latest doc have been
revised for it:   http://www.gentoo.org

>   Are you using Gentoo? I am wanting a Linux box for wireless intrusion work but I don't want to start dating the Fat Lady(RedHat)
> again - I prefer something more svelte ... and the 'BSD like ports' is definitely an attraction.

I am using Gentoo -- one box at home, and am now installing my second box here
at work :)  I love portage (their version of ports) and the fact that you can
tweak the compiler flags easily for your system -- makes a much larger
difference than I would have believed.  However, it's not for newbies or those
not wanting to get into the guts of their system.  But there user community is
quite good (see forums.gentoo.org -- but it seems to be down at the moment :( )
and their documentation is outstanding
( http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/docs.xml )

-- mikeh