[olug] smbmount and fstab

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 21:08:55 UTC 2002

I'm having troubles mounting a device on an NT4 server and allowing the
user (not root) to modify the filesystem.

I want the user to be able to mount the filesystem when they login.
I have to send a username and password to the NT server.
I want the user to be able to modify and create files on the mount.

I've added:

//nt_le/ericp$ /home/epenne/fileserver/ericp smbfs
defaults,noauto,user,owner 0 0

to the /etc/fstab

when I try to mount it asks for a password which it takes the username
from my login of epenne when I want it to login as ericp.

where can I pass the credentials file to the mount command?

I've manually mounted this drive from root using the credentials file.
The permissions on the drive were for root and user ericp couldn't
write anything to the directories on the mounted drive.

What options do I have to pass the username and password to smbmount
through /etc/fstab?

Eric