[olug] linux web server management ?

Jonathan Warren thechunk at cox.net
Thu Dec 19 16:48:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 02:07:34PM -0600, William E. Kempf wrote:
>  If so, that's the sort of
> solution I think is necessary, but it has to be portable (i.e. I should be
> able to _easily_ use it on my Mandrake box) and should be based on
> standard interfaces, rather than hacked code for every package.

I don't understand why the distros must be interchangable?  Stick with a distro and request missing packages from them.  I don't think you can expect open source projects to all follow the same config.  The config is only really needed at compile time and a devleoper is going to spend his time making something functional and not easy to compile.  That always comes later.  The distros should handle dependencies and configs.

> In other words, from a developer's stand point the Win32
> Registry API is a god send, even if the monolothic binary registry file is
> obviously a mistake that Linux wouldn't need to repeat to get the benefits
> of a standard configuration mechanism.

I've yet to hear a developer praise the regestry api.  End users curse it even more.