[olug] linux web server management ?

Jacobs, Robert A. RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com
Wed Dec 18 22:30:36 UTC 2002

...and from a user's point of view it is HELL (disclaimer: I'm not a Win32
Developer).
The Windows Registry is not a good idea -- it is the most obvious single
point of failure on a Windows system.  Corrupt the Registry and you're done.

Eggs? Basket? Anyone?

The Registry is more arcane than any configuration approach or file I have
yet to see in Linux.  Made a change? Want to go back to your previous
setting?
Didn't export your registry before you changed it?  Whoops.  Sorry.

The Registry may be great for developers but it is practically useless to
users....
and sometimes, hacking the Registry is the only way to make certain
configuration
changes, optimizations, etc.

One of the greatest things about the way Linux approaches application
configuration
is that each tool knows where to find its files.  When I install application
foo into
/usr/local/foo and later delete the foo directory, foo and all of its files
go with it.
The only thing that *may* remain are some dependencies I installed while
installing foo.
I don't run the risk of corrupting my registry or leaving dead leaves behind
in it which
allows me/you to keep a lean, clean machine.  The leaner the machine, the
less apt
someone is to compromise it.

Separation between applications is a good thing.  It is the "unity",
interdependency and
cross-application awareness of Windows applications that contributes to the
many problems
Windows systems experience and contributes to their reputation for
instability and lack
of security.

--rob