[MLIST] Re: [olug] linux web server management ?

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Wed Dec 18 22:18:45 UTC 2002

David Walker said:
> Well there is some room for argument/discussion here
>
> windows install =
> 1. discover name of program you are interested in
> 2.  locate program on internet or on cd
> 3.  download, unpack, and locate setup.exe in the unpacked files or in
> the CD  directory
> 4.  setup.exe
>
> apt-get install =
> 1.  discover name of program

Which can often be as difficult as 1-3 for the windows install.

> 2.  apt-get install "name of program"

I'm not personally familiar with apt, only with apt-rpm and urpmi, which
are similar in concept.  Both of these require (somewhat difficult)
configuring in order for the magical install command to be able to find
the packages... and then it works only if you're lucky enough that the
package in question can be found in said repository(s).  So you often wind
up having to go through more complex procedures any way.

Don't get me wrong, the Windows world is far from perfect.  But anyone
who's gone through this on both platforms and can give an unbiased yet
honest opinion, would tell you that this portion of the user experience is
vastly better on the Windows platform.  What I find difficult to
understand is that most people admit this, yet the problem doesn't seem to
be getting addressed properly by anyone.

William E. Kempf