[olug] linux web server management ?

Jonathan Warren thechunk at cox.net
Tue Dec 17 23:29:41 UTC 2002

With linux it is easy to install software.  You just need to copy the package or source files to the server and either install them with the command line package tool or build them and install them.  For Redhat you would do the following
rpm -i newpkg.rpm.  It will report any errors or problems or missing packages.  Most source distributions can be installed by tar -zxvf source.tgz or tar -jxvf source.tar.bz2
cd source
./configure
make
make install

This doesn't work for everythign but most things work this way.  Do you know how to use ssh?