[olug] Red hat cert

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Dec 16 21:12:34 UTC 2002

Regarding your comment about real-world vs. test taking it's an unavoidable
fact that if you have a list of requirements then some people will learn
those requirements by rote, and be able to pass the test.  The more
real-world the testing is, the less effective rote memorization is.  Good
cert programs recognize this and make their tests as practical as possible.
In my experience Novell tests, and Lotus tests are very good at this.
Novell has test questions where you actually have to perform the required
task.  Lotus is also very comprehensive. From what I've been told Cisco's
cert program is about the toughest there is.  They have a practical exam to
get the highest level of certification that you have to go to their HQ for,
and it's all hands-on.  It has something like a 50% failure rate.

A cert is only as good as the experience backing it up.  A good example is
a guy who applied here several times.  He has a CNE, but he's been out of
the IT field for 3 years.  At this point I have to wonder what possible
relevance his skill set has to what we're doing today.  Kind of the flip
side of certs.

The position being applied for also matters as to whether a cert is an
asset.   We had CNE's and MCSE's applying for our help desk position and we
pretty much unilaterally disqualified them because we don't want or need
someone with that level of expertise manning our help desk.

Bill

                      Jonathan Warren
                      <thechunk at cox.net        To:       olug at olug.org
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [olug] Red hat cert
                      olug-admin at olug.o
                      rg

                      12/16/2002 09:31
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      olug

>Thank you for the comments.  I think you make some very valid points
especially about keeping some feelings to >yourself while in an interview.
I have had limited experience with certifications.  I personally beleive
>that they often fail to examine real world situation in favor of book
study and test taking.  That is why I >don't like them.  I know they would
help make the short list and I guess I would recomend to anyone entering