[olug] Unix Tip: KEEP THAT USER OUT!

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Sat Dec 14 04:44:06 UTC 2002

one time, in a situation that called for drastic measures, I used

touch /etc/nologin;pkill -9 bash

Worked like a charm; disconnected all users (me included), disallowed new
logins,  and nuked several shell scripts that may or may not have been
innocent bystanders.  I don't recommend doing it in situations where you
have a few minutes to do something more elegant, but for a quick measure
it's effective.

Nick Walter