[olug] of Grub and Lilo

Ryan rps at willconsult.com
Thu Dec 12 21:42:20 UTC 2002

>Can anyone tell me why one would use Grub instead of Lilo?
> From what I can see, lilo is better documented and better understood.
>Outside of Grubs graphical bootup, is it better than lilo at anything
>else?

It can do some stuff that grub couldn't (at the time at least).

For example I've had trouble making Linux my main OS and installing Windows
to a second or third partition.  When you install windows it doesn't give
you a choice of where to install it to.  Grub can do some switching (I
think you use swap(a,b) in the conf file) so Windows thinks its installing
to the main partition when really its not.

-Ryan