[olug] 2.4 kernel/ SMP and APIC

VincentR vincentr at cox.net
Wed Dec 11 21:29:36 UTC 2002

This problem is unique to the 2.4 kernel.

For those who didn't know, a CPU can only service one interrupt (IRQ) at a time.
APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) is what enables multiple
CPUs (SMP) to handle interrupts simultaneously.  On an SMP system with APIC
turned off, the CPU's must take turns servicing interrupts.

You would probably only encounter this problem in circumstances where you
are receiving a huge UDP multicast stream and the sequence of the data is important.
Even then you must be looking for it by having sequence numbers in each message
of the packet and then monitoring them upon receipt.

Like I said, "This is mostly an FYI thing for thought..."