[olug] Yahoo! News - Research Firm: Microsoft Will Use Linux by 2004

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Wed Dec 11 19:45:25 UTC 2002

Don Kauffman said:
> Hey Bill,
>
> When I said "more accurate" I was referring to CNN's take on the story.
> However, since you bring up the issue of "Accuracy" has anyone seen the
> actual Meta Group report? I went to their website to locate the actual
> report but it is apparently an industry Paysite only. I don''t qualify
> as an "industry" person at this point in time (being unemployed that
> is). :-(

No, I haven't seen the full report yet (I should be able to access it
through someone here at work if I find the time to try and track down how
to).  I posted an URL to the abreviated take by META earlier, but here it
is again: http://www.metagroup.com/lec/.

> Here's Rueter's/Forbes take on that report I read through it and noted
> that they don't mention .NET . They do interpret the Meta Group report
> as saying that they expect Microsoft to offer some of its server
> software on linux.

That's mostly how I read the public summary from META.  They do mention
"proprietary application enablers (e.g., .Net components)", which I'm sure
is how Yahoo's article jumped to the wrong interpretation here.

Sounds like the real prediction is less interesting than those being
published elsewhere.  Shouldn't surprise anyone if MS ported some of their
server software to Linux (and other POSIX OSes)... especially when some of
those services will be .NET solutions which should (by that time) just run
on Linux with out any necessary porting (at least to the same extent that
this is true for Java, which means more hype than substance).

William E. Kempf