[olug] Yahoo! News - Research Firm: Microsoft Will Use Linux by 2004

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Wed Dec 11 18:36:13 UTC 2002

Don Kauffman said:
> Here’s a more accurate assessment of the prediction by the Meta Group
> regarding M$ apps on Linux.
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20021210/bs_nf/20210
> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20021210/bs_nf/20210>

Accurate?

"As a result, the group said it believes Microsoft will respond by adding
proprietary apps, including .NET, to a Linux environment beginning in late
2004."

..NET is not an application, nor is it proprietary (it's an ECMA standard,
and I believe it's slated to be an ISO standard as well).  Not to mention
..NET has already been mostly ported to Linux by the Mono project, so
there's little reason for MS to invest any time/effort in this endeavor.
This statement alone brings into question anything else in the article,
and I gaurantee you it wasn't made by META.

William E. Kempf