[olug] Retrieving email from offsite for a business

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 18:59:12 UTC 2002

I had the conversation at the end of this email with the IT manager at
lester electrical today.

It seems as though they don't have their main email server on site.
Therefore they have to download all incoming email every 15 minutes.
I've heard of doing this in a small office where the internet
connection is intermittent and there are limits on the connection time,
but this is a 500 person manufacturing facility with approx 50 people
with email and an always on DSL connection.

I'm looking for the pros/cons of doing it this way instead of just
hosting your own email server on site.  Lester runs Exchange on NT4 for
email.

This came up because after I set up qmail on an external machine and
sent email to myself I noticed the 15-20 minute delay even though the
qmail logs said the email was accepted instantly.

Eric

Attached email conversation with lester IT manager:

It is stored off-site and we need to go and retrieve it.