[olug] home network

Chris Garrity m0ntar3 at cox.net
Thu Aug 15 00:29:48 UTC 2002

Directly connecting 2 ethernet nics together in the way you're
describing is possible. What you need is a "cross over" cable.

A "cross over" cable looks like any regular ethernet cabling, except the
copper wires inside the cable meet the plastic plugs on the ends at
different slots. If you hold the plug up in front of you, and view it
from the top (with the latch release pointing down, and on the opposite
side of where you're eyeball is), you'll see 8 slots into which copper
wires can terminate. You can count the slots in the plug left to right
as, say, slots 1, 2, 3, ... 8. For ethernet, wires need only occupy
slots 1, 2, 3, and 6.

There are 4 pairs of wire inside the cabling,; blue, orange, green, and
brown. Each of these wires has a corresponding white wire to go with it.

Say you put the blue wire in slot 1, blue's white wire in slot 2, the
orange wire in slot 3, and the orange's white wire in slot 6 on one end
of the cable. On the other end of the cable you would put the orange
wire in slot 1, and the blue wire in slot 3.

To do this (easily) you need a small pair of wire cutters, two plugs,
and a cable crimper; but if you're tenacious enough you could probably
go without. Anyhow:

    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Or; you probably find an already made crossover cable at the shops
around town (can even get one a compusa these days).

But; in the long run you'll want a hub so you can add other computers to
your network "on the fly" --- like if your friends bring their computers
by and you all want to play Counter Strike over your LAN to challenge
some other clan forming on the other side of the planet :-)