[olug] dhcpcd problem

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Thu Apr 25 19:51:06 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Nick Walter wrote:

> I've had some icky experiences trying to get RH 7.2 to play well with DHCP
> on a cable modem.  The problems weren't network card related, it was just
> Red Hat having some very poorly thought out startup scripts for implementing
> DHCP on a network interface.  My workaround was simply to tell Red Hat to
> start the machine with an (invalid) static IP address and then run pump from
> my own script to get the DHCP working.

RH 7.2 switched over to using ip utilities for networking. That was a good
move. Unfortunately most of the networking init scripts still assume
ifconfig - and DHCP from ISC essentially uses a hacked up BSD script. BSD
- as befits its age - only uses ifconfig and thus the script really does
not work.

I have a script hacked up to work with PakSecured as I only use the ip
utilities but I would instead strongly suggest you just use pump on RH.
COX is using CIDR subnetting for the lease address space and that
complicates the mask provisioning. Pump is fine for single port use in
these circumstances.

> All my RH 7.2 machines seem to have pump installed already, but I do
> "install-everything" installations.  If your RH 7.2 installation doesn't
> have pump, it will be available on the RH 7.2 install CDs.
>
> I'd recommend making sure pump is installed and trying Nate's idea:  Set
> your network card to NOT use dhcp and then start dhcp manually with
> "/sbin/pump -i eth0" to see if that solves your problem.  If it does, you
> just need your own little script to start pump automatically on boot.
>
> Nick Walter

[snip]

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC