[olug] dial up server

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Apr 24 13:55:33 UTC 2002

This is probably unnecessary, but just in case it's not...

33.6K is the best you'll connect with analog modems.  You're "56K" modems
rely on a phone company trick to give you 56K, and even then it's only 56K
downstream.  Upstream traffic is limited to 33.6K.  You're line conditions
have to be very good to get 33.6K also.

Bill

                    "Mike
                    Peterson"            To:     <olug at olug.org>
                    <mikejack at radi       cc:
                    ks.net>              Subject:     RE: [olug] dial up server

                    04/24/02 08:17
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to olug

I have a Redhat 7.1 server setup to allow me to dial in and get a PPP
connection to it.
I connect at between 26,400 and 33,600
Could you email me the steps you used for setting up Redhat 7.2 and I will
see if I can match my 7.1 speed with my 7.2 server using a ppp connection
it.
I also have a US Roboticks 56k external modem on my 7.1.
I have a spare one I can connect to my 7.2 server.
If it works I will email you any changes you need to make.