[olug] Hard Drive Addition to a Compaq Deskpro

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Tue Apr 16 18:58:24 UTC 2002

> I have Linux running on  a Compaq Deskpro PII/III that has a 3 gig HD. 3
> gig is barely adequate for my needs. I've looked at it and can't quite
> figure out how to add a hard drive into the system. Does anyone have
> experience with this type of setup?

I have some experience these things - the minitowers are fairly
well-built, but the desktop units are a little funky.

They're all built like tanks :)

> If so, can you give me a clue as to where to look?  The HD chassis seems
> to be down under the CD or the FD. Is there a front panel opening (I
> didn't take the face plate off-- at the time I didn't think about it)?

How you put the hard drive in depends on the form factor of the enclosure.

On minitowers the whole front faceplate comes off (once you take the side
panel off, of course), but on the desktops you take off the cover and the
*entire drive assembly* tilts forward on some hinges.

Either way, once you have access to the bay the drive litteraly just
slides in.

Unfortunatly, getting the drive to just slide in requires some fancy
screws that only Compaq uses :(

Oh, and that's just the two different styles of Compaq Deskpro that I've
seen: yours may be different.

--

Phil

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm