[olug] Groupware suggestions - Long

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Fri Apr 12 16:37:33 UTC 2002

> Active Directory uses LDAP?

Correct.

If you have the right know-how you can browse the AD tree with simple
command-line tools like "ldapsearch".

To go further, it's even possible[1] to have a "black-box" mail system
running Linux/*BSD/*nix that looks for users in AD via LDAP!

[1]: I need to stress *possible*.  Most MTAs aren't flexible enough to be
able to speak to AD, and there's still the question of the POP3/IMAP
servers needing work...

> I think I have a machine that I can screw up with Win2k server or Linux
> for that matter.  Another post said to separate the servers.  I have an
> AMD 400MHz machine here, do you think that would be enough to handle the
> load of 4 people using web based groupware?

Easily.  My AD testing machine is a 500MHz AMD K6-2.  Just make sure you
load up the memory, if you use Win2k.

> I may be willing to rip win2k server and install linux if a good
> solution can justify it.  My company is sitting in a good spot right now
> to do this since we only have 4 people to switch over.

Use the testing machine to set up a demonstration before you rip anything
out :)

> So far I've heard good things about Exchange and Lotus Notes and had a
> suggestion for Shared360 and PHPGroupWare and MyGroupware.  I would like
> to hear some more about people using these programs and their
> experiences.  I don't believe all the stuff they say on their webpage
> because it is mostly marketing.  I would love to hear some actual users
> of these systems.

I've never heard of Shared360 - I'll have to try that one out.

The version number for phpGroupWare is 0.9.14-RC2.  'nuff said.

I've never tried MyGroupware - it's too heavliy dependant on MySQL for me
to be willing to try it (I'm a PostgreSQL user).

--

Phil

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org