[olug] Problem with grub (I think)

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Apr 6 16:25:23 UTC 2002

Hi guys.

I'm not sure if I asked about this here before or not.  I was working on
this, then my wife had to have her gall bladder removed, and then we had
our second kid, and since then I've been trying to keep everything going.
But now I'm back to this little issue at least part time, and I hope this
isn't a repost.

I'm using Lycoris distro.  (Very nice for Joe User IMO)  I want to compile
the kernel to optimize for the Athlon processor.  My resident Linux guru
(not me) told me that the AMD optimizations give you a decent performance
boost, so I want to see for myself.  Anyway here's what the issue is and
how I get there:

I have downloaded the 2.4.18 sources.

I installed the complete dev cd.  (compilers and such)

I installed the 2.4.12 sources from the Source cd to get the stock config
file. (/arch/i386/defconfig)

I use the stock config file with just a couple minor changes. The main
change is to optimize for the Athlon processor.

I make dep, make clean, make bzImage, and everything seems to work fine. I
then make modules, and make modules_install.

I copy the bzImage to /boot and rename it.

I use the control panel to add an entry for the kernel in Grub.  (KDE based
control panel)

I reboot and try to boot to my new kernel and it doesn't seem to do
anything. No "Loading kernel" message. No boot checkpoints. Nothing on the
screen but the Grub loader screen. Can't change to any virtual terminal.
Some disk activity judging by the drive light.

Hit the reset button and select the stock kernel. Says the fs wasn't
unmounted cleanly and runs fsck. Sometimes I have to do it manually.
Everything seems fine after fsck runs.

Anyone know what the hell the problem is? I'm stumped, but I've never used
Grub before. I've added kernels with Lilo several times without a problem.

Thanks!

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org