[olug] m$ campus agreement

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Apr 6 00:59:52 UTC 2002

At Fri, 05 Apr 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
> Sounds pretty good not!? $30/year tuition increase = $200 software for $3
> with perpetual licenses.... sounds like a deal to me!  But does anyone
> know of any hidden details behind this agreement (the devil's in the
> details) ?... has anyone else heard anything negative about these
> agreements, in relation to Gnu/Linux adoption?  I hear SuSE is popular at
> UNL... would that affect anything?

Interesting note, while UNO has posted a survey, I don't think it
matters what the students think.  A very good friend of mine is on UNO's
Student Government and was at the Student Government meeting where this
Microsoft deal was discussed.

Student Government ended up *NOT* approving the deal, and one of the
things that really upset them was when someone from the administration
said (paraphrased) "It doesn't really matter whether you guys like this
or not, we're still going to do it.  You're voting to approve the fee
increase just makes it easier for us."

The implication was that they know what is best for the students. . .
more so than the students they were talking to.

--
Christopher