[olug] D-Link DFE-530TX+ NICs and Linux?

Don Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Fri Sep 28 16:33:57 UTC 2001

Has anyone used D-Link Ethernet cards with Linux? I bought  2  because I
want  to set up a network between my Windows and Linux boxes (plus they
were cheap with a $10  rebate  and on sale for $9.95).

Here's what I want to do. If there's a how-to out there or if someone
has already posted this question could someone please point me to the
answers?

1. Set up my linux box to serve my M$ 98 machine and act as a fire wall
for my cable internet connection. I know this means I have to have two
NICs in the linux box  Has any one had any experience setting this up?
Pointers and tips will be gratefully received!

2. Use VNC to connect to linux from Windows.

Alternatively I suppose I could do it almost the opposite way and set up
the windows box between the internet and linux box and still use VNC to
connect to linux.

Either way would be preferable to the switching situation I have now. I
have to reboot linux if I switch the monitor, mouse and keyboard to work
in windows because, when I switch back, the cursor or mouse pointer is
stuck at the top of the screen in X and in the "command line screens"
This setup is far from  ideal but if anyone has any ideas about why this
bug is  happening I'd appreciate hearing it .I'm running red hat with
the 2.2.6 kernel  I'm not sure what version of X

Thanks!

Don K.

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org