[olug] Re[2] good GUI MUA

tetherow at nol.org tetherow at nol.org
Fri Sep 7 20:43:09 UTC 2001

On  5 Sep, Schmeits, Roger wrote:
>>setup a pop* mailbox, not imap! what is the beauty behind imap? server side
>>mailbox, leave it there, its safer than a local machines disk, and a whole
>

> You might want to look at www.tkrat.org.  It supports imap.

My biggest gripe about TkRat is that I can't figure out how to get TK
to honor the wheel on my mouse.  It has a nice layout and it is fairly
easy to move stuff from folder to folder.  One thing that does stink
about it though is the fact that it requires an exclusive lock on the
mailbox which fails to a readonly if it can't get the lock.  I like to
leave my mail connection up and home as well as work and if I am not
paying attention I would get a readonly connection and after moving
stuff around and deleting things I attempt to sync the mailbox and it
fails.  Not a major problem but a pain in the arse when it comes to
figuring out what should be deleted and what shouldn't on the next
connection.

I currently am using balsa which is decent.  I don't like the interface
for moving mail between mailboxes and it is still beta at best.  I
notice from time to time that it doesn't flush the outgoing mailbox
correctly and I double send mail.

I have had the same luck (poor) with M and IMAP.  The last time I tried
evolution I could get it to compile but maybe I'll give it a shot
again.  Spruce was still pretty raw for IMAP last I tried and I can't
stand Netscape/Mozilla's UI for mail.  Keybindings were not there which
made quick reading a slow and painful.

If I've missed an IMAP capable client please let me know as I am still
shopping for the 'perfect' client.

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nol.org
Director of Development
NIC Labs (IDG)                         http://www.nicusa.com