[olug] It works

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Wed Sep 5 01:06:58 UTC 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:08:21PM -0500, Tom Huber wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>
> > all that sound config does is load the module.  I would suggest doing a modprobe on the module name yourself.  If you get it working just add the modprobe to your statup routine.  Do you know wich kernel module it needs?
> >
> > -Jon

> > > It is the Ess1868.  When I run sndconfig it says it found it then goes to sleep
> > > and never ask to test it or set it up.  isapnp says it found it  too.  It works
> > > fine in W98 and before my eth0 problem (when I pulled it out) worked fine here
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Tom

I haven't been following this properly so if my comments don't apply -
ignore.

My first hit on google searching for "Ess1868" netted -
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

Another page -
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/sound/ESS1868.html
says you should be using the sb.o module for your card.

Running the following at the command line should spit out what modules
you have installed on your system.

 modprobe -l | awk -F / '{print $8}'|sed -e 1d'

Look for the sb.o module.  If you have the module then follow the
directions the person has included in the second link to 'modpobe' and
'insmod' the modules for your card.

What I suspect is your sound card and your eth0 card are fighting for
the same IRQ or DMA.  IIRC you stated the sound card worked prior to you
getting your network card working.

If you don't have the module for your card then you must have support
for the card hard coded into the kernel.  If that is the case and there
is an address conflict, you should be able to pass parameters to the card
via lilo with an 'append' line in your /etc/lilo.conf.

I've never had to do that but I'm sure someone on the list has and can
help you walk thought it.

You can find information on your DMA and IRQ values by running -

$ cat /proc/dma
$ cat /proc/interrupts

Also /proc/pci should tell you a lot.
hth,
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org