[olug] Any Python Coders?

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Tue Oct 23 04:08:31 UTC 2001

JH> In an effort to reduce my companies reliance on MS, we are making a number
JH> of moves away from MS to open source projects.
JH> i.e.
JH>     Exchange -> Cyrus-Imap
JH>     Office -> StarOffice
JH>     VB -> Python

Good for you guys -- in all decisions! =)

JH> I've written a few smaller applets with Python but now I am moving on to
JH> some more advanced projects.  If there are any other Python coders on the
JH> list, would any of you be willing to form a local group or list?
JH> Currently, I'm looking for good resources on how to write solid error
JH> handling.  So if anyone has a favorite URL or book, I'd appreciate a nudge.

There was once a small movement between me and a few others in the OLUG
list, but it never materialized.  However, I use Python for *all* my
programming needs and it's quite excellent for almost all tasks I've put
it through (everything from GUIs to XML to system admin tasks to grabbing
images from websites).  If you wanted to form a Python group, I'm for it
and would even help out getting it going.

I can email you off the list if you want more specific info, but let me
tell you the "musts":

Books:
        1.) The Quick Python Book (to start)
        2.) The Python Essential Reference once you get familiar -- this
        has an excellent reference for the Python standard lib (which is
        quite extensive).
        3.) Python for Win32 (O'Reilly).  A must when/if you are in the
        Windows world

Another question is GUIs . . . Python comes with Tkinter, which is the
standard GUI.  I prefer wxPython, which is a Python wrapper for
wxWindows, a cross-platform C++ GUI wrapper for the standard GUI libs.  There
exists wxGTK, wxMotif, and wxWin32.  The neat thing about it is that it
uses the standard widget of the OS/lib it's on, the the users will never know.
Tkinter uses Tk widgets, which look different then the standard widgets.
Of course, Tkinter has a good book on how to program it, and they've
never wrote one for wxPython.  Too bad . . . but check out wxPython at
www.wxpython.org.

Enough rambling . . . welcome aboard.  Email me if you have questions
about Python.

Mike

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org